Friday 27 December 2013

Play It Again

My Top 10 Tunes of 2013...


It came to my attention that I haven't done a post about music on this thing yet, so I thought what better way to end the year than sharing a few of my favourite songs from the last 12 months? I'm not necessarily saying these are the finest pieces of the year; any musical list is of course completely subjective, and if you asked me again tomorrow I'd probably give you a different ten. I haven't, for instance, featured anything from the soundtrack of Dave Grohl's rather wonderful Sound City documentary, which as a collection is great fun, and while not having a great deal of originality has the fresh sound of musicians just having a great time, which ultimately should be the reason any of us play. Go out and buy it as soon as you can.

So these are simply the first ten that came to mind from 2013 releases that have done some time on repeat play on my music facilities. In no particular order...

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Sell It

As I say to anyone who will listen (or just can't get out of my way quick enough), they are they only band since the millennium that I have felt truly passionate about. After a rather indifferent album last time out, they returned this year with Specter At The Feast: their best record for quite some time, which also gave me my blogging name. Any number of the tracks could have made this list, but I'm going for Sell It for its return to the question we used to ask of BRMC: how can three people make such a huge sound?! 



Wave Machines – I Hold Loneliness

One of the many bands I've discovered in the last year or two through BBC 6 Music, this lot from Liverpool released their second album back last January. Given their release schedule so far we may have to wait several years for the next, which is a shame. This track was actually released as a single in late 2012, but as the album didn't come out until this year I reckon I can include it. There's a great acoustic version of this one out there too which is well worth looking up.



 Pixies – Another Toe In The Ocean

Now here's a band on the list of those of fairly legendary status who somehow have never really come onto my radar. However, this song really grabbed my attention and might be the one that finally gives me the boot up the backside to check them out properly.



Gaz Coombes – Buffalo

Nice solo outing from the youngest old vetran of indie. Hopefully more to come soon.



Laura Mvula – Green Garden

Irritatingly catchy; there's always a place for some ooh aahs in pop music. Clearly I'm not the only one who thinks this as she's picked up a few gongs on the awards circuit this year.



Transfer – Still Bad Blood

One of my favourite discoveries of the year, these San Diegans were over in Europe as tour support for BRMC. It's pretty simple, no-nonsense stuff, but sometimes there's no substitute for decent, honest songs. This was the lead track off the EP they made to sell on the tour, and they have a new album just out in the States, but no distribution over here yet. Hopefully won't be long...



Arctic Monkeys – Do I Wanna Know?

Another band like Pixies who I've never got into before, my general opinion of them having progressed over the last eight years from "irritating" to "meh", but now finally "oh wow, they can actually play!" I guess with age comes a little more class, and this one is a belter, all moody chops and sarky vocals. R U Mine? might be slightly superior, but this was the one that first turned my head this year. Still not going to buy the old stuff, mind. 
    

Primal Scream – Nothing Is Real / Nothing Is Unreal

Again, they're old, but they're still making some great music. Like BRMC, their 2013 offering More Light was a distinct improvement on other stuff they've released in recent years, something of a return to form. I love the dreaminess of this. Arms in the air, everyone...



Disclosure (featuring London Grammar) – Help Me Lose My Mind

Having listened through to most of it, in the end I didn't buy their much-talked-about album Settle; there just wasn't quite enough that did it for me, some of it in fact being quite irritating. But this is a great single, and will indeed help you lose your mind by getting in there and never leaving.   



Daft Punk (featuring Pharrell Williams) – Get Lucky

Last but not least, the mother of all singles. Whatever you think of the album (it wasn't great, let's be honest: far more filler than killer) and of the unashamed cheesiness of this single, Get Lucky is pretty much the perfect pop song, and you simply cannot suppress at least something of a smile when you hear it. Don't be grumpy, just dance, I dare you...




The only slightly disappointing thing about this list is the lack of new artists. But I'm discovering some good new things out there, and the old guys are still doing the business, so all is well in the world. Class of 2014: let's see what you've got.


No comments:

Post a Comment